- Public Utilities
- Water Conservation and Restrictions
Water Conservation and Restrictions
Please click on these graphics to enlarge (and learn from) them.
Water conservation: A City Commission priority.
We all tend to take our precious natural resources for granted, but we should do our best to conserve water both indoors and outdoors.
The St. Johns River Water Management District has rules that regulate irrigation. The City of Atlantic Beach Code follows in step with those rules. The rules apply to those using City water or private wells. Here’s a summary:
• Do NOT irrigate between 10:00am and 4:00pm.
• All automatic irrigation systems should have rainfall sensors to override the system when it rains.
• During Daylight Saving Time (spring and summer), limit irrigation to Two Days per Week on specific days:
o Wednesday and Saturday – Residential properties at odd numbered addresses or have no address
o Thursday and Sunday – Residential properties at even numbered addresses
o Tuesday and Friday – Non-residential properties
• During Eastern Standard Time (fall and winter), limit irrigation to One Day per Week on specific days:
o Saturday – Residential properties at odd numbered addresses or no address
o Sunday – Residential properties at even numbered addresses
o Tuesday – Non-residential properties
• Irrigate no more than ¾” or one hour per zone per irrigation day.
As always, there are some exceptions:
• Micro-spray, micro-jet or drip irrigation is allowed any time, any day.
• You may operate irrigation systems for repair or maintenance at any time, but no longer than 20 minutes per hour per zone.
• You may water in chemicals at any time within 24 hours of application. Watering may not exceed ¼” of water per application unless otherwise required by law, the chemical manufacturer, or best management practices.
• If you wish to irrigate in a manner not authorized by the rule, contact the St. Johns River Water Management District to obtain a Standard General Permit. You can get a copy of the application on the District’s website at www.sjrwmd.com.