Employment and Benefit Information
APPLY WITH US!!!!
City of Atlantic Beach Human Resources Employment Page
See current openings with the Atlantic Beach Police Department.
How to become a Florida Certified Police Officer
- Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Center
- St. Johns River State College
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- Minimum 21 Years of Age
- U.S. Citizenship
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Valid Florida Driver License at time of employment
- Good Physical Condition
- Good Moral Character
- No Felony Convictions
- Military discharge, if applicable, must be under honorable conditions
- No Smoking or other use of tobacco products
- Prefer state certified police officer in Florida or experienced as a police officer in another state
- Must be willing to work different shifts, weekends, and holidays
- Appropriate visible tattoos will be permitted at the discretion of the Chief of Police. Any tattoo indicating membership in a hate, racist, subversive organization, criminal, gang, or any symbol associated will not be permitted. Any visible tattoo that can be reasonable offensive or morally objectionable, including, but not limited to, racially oriented, drug related, or sexually explicit words, pictures, or symbols will not be permitted. No tattoos above the collar bone or on hands and fingers.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting patrol salary $40, 644 (Forty-two hour work week) + 7% add pay
- Officers work 10.5 hour shifts.
- Full Uniform and equipment issuance including body armor, firearm, and dry cleaning
- Overtime at 1 ½ pay
- Career development track program
- College tuition and book reimbursement program
- Paid training (state required and department approved)
- Take home car (when eligible)
- Paid membership at local fitness center
- Health and Wellness Program
- Additional salary compensations may include Florida State Salary Incentive Program (up to $130.00 per month), College Education (up to $1,200.00 annually), and increased starting pay considered if prior police officer experience.
For additional Police Officer Employment Information, Application Procedures, and Benefits (click here)
Specialized Unit Opportunities Include:
(most include add pays)
- Tactical Response Team
- General Crimes Detective
- Crime Suppression Unit
- Field Training Unit
- Traffic Enforcement Unit
- (COPS) Community Oriented Policing Unit (Bike Patrol)
For questions regarding employment or additional information, please contact Det. Mason Shaffer at 904-247-5859 Ext. 5958 or Email Det. Mason Shaffer.
Applicants are required to take and pass a written exam during Phase 2 of the application process. Applicants may prepare themselves for the Police Officer Selection Written Exam by visiting https://www.applytoserve.com/study/ where you will find study guides and practice tests.
Online POST Study Guide: Learn more about the National Police Officer Selection Test (POST) before actually taking it. Includes sample questions in addition to information about test sections and time limits.
Online POST Practice Exam: Prepare yourself by taking an online practice version of the POST test you will encounter on exam day. See if you can complete each test section in the time allowed, or review your work with any time remaining. After time expires or you submit your responses, you’ll receive immediate feedback about your performance. Thorough explanations are provided for each incorrect response so you better understand how to improve. Please note that purchases are good for one attempt at the POST practice exam.
For submitted application information, please contact Administrative Assistant Kimberly Keen at 904-247-5859 Ext. 5864 or Email Kimberly Keen.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Atlantic Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical disability, marital status or sexual orientation.