- Boards and Committees
- Special Magistrate
The Special Magistrate conducts hearings in the Commission Chamber, 800 Seminole Road, in the months of January, March, May, July, September, and November. The Special Magistrate is an experienced attorney who is appointed by the City Commission on an annual basis.
The Special Magistrate shall have the jurisdiction and authority to hear and decide alleged violations of the following:
(1) City of Atlantic Beach Code of Ordinances, per Chapter 162, Florida Statutes and the provisions of the AB Code, each as may be amended, and .
(2) State of Florida Building Code, administration section of Chapter 553, Florida Statutes, as adopted by the State of Florida and by the city.
(3) International Property Maintenance Code as adopted by the city.
(4) All other local codes and ordinances as allowed by Chapter 162, Part 1., Florida Statutes, Local Government Code Enforcement Boards, as it may be amended from time to time.
The jurisdiction of the Special Magistrate shall not be exclusive. Any alleged violation of any of the provisions above may be pursued by appropriate remedy in court at the option of the administrative official whose responsibility it is to enforce that respective code or ordinance.
The Special Magistrate shall have the power to:
(1) Adopt rules for the conduct of code enforcement hearings.
(2) Subpoena alleged violators and witnesses to code enforcement hearings.
(3) Subpoena evidence.
(4) Take testimony under oath.
(5) Issue orders having the force and effect of law, commanding whatever steps are necessary to bring a violation into compliance.
(6) Levy fines pursuant to subsection 2-150.
City Code- Article V. Division 2. Special Magistrate