City Government Week
The City of Atlantic Beach will join cities throughout the state in celebrating Florida City Government Week Oct. 18-24 with a variety of initiatives to bring awareness to the role local government plays in residents’ lives.
Florida City Government Week, sponsored by the Florida League of Cities, is an annual weeklong celebration that raises awareness about the importance of municipal government and its daily impact on residents. Because city government is the government closest to most citizens, and the one with the most direct daily impact upon its residents, it is important that residents understand how their city operates, the services it provides, and the importance of their active involvement. The League of Cities is the official organization of Florida’s municipal governments the City Government Week theme is “My City: I’m Part of It, I’m Proud of It”.
Cities provide a higher level of service than most governments and generally receive higher approval ratings than other levels of government. Yet, many residents are unaware of how city services impact their lives. Through Florida City Government Week, Florida cities hope to bring awareness to city governments’ role in enhancing the quality of life in communities.
The City of Atlantic Beach’s City Government Week activities to foster civic education, collaboration, volunteerism and more include:
- Adopting a City Commission resolution.
- Promoting the City’s 2040VISION process and encouraging participate in the visioning questionnaire.
- Employee spotlights on Facebook.
- Promoting the City’s Government 101 Speaker’s Bureau, a program that makes city leaders available to speak to school classrooms, student government associations, civic organizations and other groups upon request.
- “Stay In the Know” campaign encouraging residents to stay informed about and engaged with their city government.
- Promoting the Government 101 Speaker’s Bureau. The City has a program that makes city leaders available to speak to school classrooms, student government associations, civic organizations and other groups upon request.
- Daily “Did Ya Know, AB?” social media posts.
- Sharing educational videos for people of all ages from animated ones for children and how-to-get-involved videos for grown-ups.
- Strengthening the City’s City Government 101 presence on the web.